Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Bocas Del Toro, Anajuela

Today is the last day of my trip. It has been a good run but all good things must come to an end unfortunately. The last 10 days have really just been cruising around killing the last of my time. Not really enough time to go do a lot but too much to hang out around San Jose.

Puerto Viejo was fun but two days was enough. The last day I was there I rode a bike 23km down the ¨road¨ to the coastal park and hiked around for a couple hours. Was very relaxing and I found a cool little beach to chill on. Also saw some cool crabs, birds and lizards. Didnt see another person for hours which was a nice change.




From Puerto Viejo I jumped on a bus to Panama, well a couple buses and a boat actually, to get out to Boca Del Toro. The boat ride out to the Islands we beautiful and I am regretting I didn’t take any pictures. I met a couple German girls and a British guy, all of whom live in San Jose CR, who knew the islands well which was nice as I didn’t have to search for a place to stay or where the night life was. The town of Bocas was real chill with a lot of good bars and beaches. The two days of relaxing I had planned quickly became two days of partying to no ones surprise. The second day I was there I rented a bike and headed way up the coastal ¨road¨ which was really hilly and only partially paid. The hang over didn’t make it easier. The main purpose of the ride, outside of seeing more of the island, was to visit a bat cave that I had read was pretty cool. The cave, when I got there, was pretty short, maybe 10 feet high, and was flooded with waist high water. There were no lights what so ever so I was glad I happened to have my head light with me. There was no one in the area and it was pretty creepy heading in as my light isn’t bright, there were things swimming in the water, the walls had theses spider/crab like looking bugs that get to be as big as 6¨ across, and, once I was in the darker area, there were thousands of bats a few feet overhead. The cave was a couple hundred meters long with the majority being pitch black. The bats flew so close to my head I could feel the wind from their wing beats. I did manage to get some really cool picts though. Definitely worth the bike ride to see.



Yesterday I came back to San Jose, well actually Anajuela which is 30 minutes or so outside of San Jose closer to the airport. I met a few people on the way, including one guy from Palo Alto, and we all went out for a couple drinks last night. This morning I decided I needed something to do to help me remember my last day down here so I made reservations with a bungee jumping company. They had a trip going out at 9AM so I jumped aboard. Turns out the jump is one of the highest in the world and rated the best in Central America. The jump was 280 feet high off of an old bridge over a beautiful river. Really couldn’t have been a neater set up. I volunteered to go first before I had time to think about it. Was easily the biggest rush I have ever had, even more so than skydiving. There is something even more scary about being able to see the ground in pretty good detail when you jump. I can definitely say it will be a while before I forget it though so I am glad I was able to fit it in last minute.



Tomorrow I have a 6:30AM flight back to SF (with a 6 hour layover in Denver, guh). This weekend is looking to be pretty epic so I cant say I am totally bummed to be coming home. It was a good run while it lasted but the real world calls. I look forward to seeing all of you back in the states over the next couple weeks!

...FIN

No comments:

Post a Comment